Welcome Bобре дошли Benvingut 欢迎 Dobro došli Vítejte Velkommen ברוך הבא Welkom Maligayang pagdating Tervetuloa Bienvenue

You Are Visitor Number.....

Translate

09 September 2010

Mission cooking Ambuyat

Decided to make ambuyat for dinner tonight. Ambuyat is sagu powder mix with hot water. It looks sticky and is tasteless. It is usually dip into sauce before being consume.A dish that is famous among the Kadazan tribe in Sabah.

Since I have been at KL for 6 months and I'm finally back home... I decided to have ambuyat, something that I miss having. I have been eating ambuyat ever since I was a small girl but I have never tried cooking one before, I have only watch my dad doing it.

But, my dad is not at home this time to do it. So I was thinking to myself  "What the hack, just boil water and pour into the sagu powder... how hard can it get?" So while the curry is being cook, I got a pot and boil water... while in a different bowl I pour half packet of the sagu. Once the water in the pot begin to boil... I pour the water into the sagu bowl and started stirring.... after 2 minutes.... the mixture was still watery... Hmmm... maybe too much water I thought... so I put more sagu powder in.... eh? still the same.....

Then my sister came by.... oi! what ca doing? she said... cooking sagu loh... I answered. Why your sagu like that wan... look like milk she said.... dun know I replied. My sis dip her finger in.... apalah you! The water not hot enough she said... but it was boiling when I pour in I said... got smoke or not the water when you pour in she asked... Nope I answer... then cannot loh she said... how I asked... 

After thinking a few minutes... my sister got the idea of boiling the mixture in the pot to get it hot enough.... can or not I asked and started laughing thinking of the idea.... so we pour the mixture in... after a while the mixture started to get sticky.... ANNA, faster can liao she shouted... wait I put salt for the curry first I reply... faster faster she said.... as I started to stir....the mixture got sticky than before.... but I realized that the pot was too small.... so I tried to get half of it out... but it was hard to remove it out.... then I started to laugh and laugh and laugh while my sister got panic seeing the situation of the ambuyat in the pot.... Stop laughing she said. but I can't stop laughing.... I just keep on laughing.... 

After laughing for 10 minutes, I decided to add water into the pot to ensure that the sagu was fully cook...cause it was half uncook... but it didn't work.... in the end we decided to throw it away and eat rice instead. While cooking the rice I started to laugh again.... my sister then mention... why are you laughing since just now... it must have been the gas..... Nolah I reply... it is funny thinking of the way we cook the sagu.... usually daddy just pour and stir and Ta-Da! Never thought that it is that hard....

But I don't think it is funny she said..... I just keep on laughing.... Your crazy she said.... I think your KL friends must think that your crazy also sometimes she added on.... I just laugh.....hahahhaha.....

We had a great dinner. No ambuyat....lol... but ice cream for dessert instead. 

Now I know how to make ambuyat... use really really really really hot water... no wonder I always see big bubbles and smoke from the water my daddy use to make ambuyat...hahha.... 

It was a good thing I tried it here before I cook it for my house mate after the holidays... it not disaster at Lot.61... but it was a great memory I created with my sis tonight.....lol....am still smiling and giggling to myself thinking of what happen just now....wakakkakakak

Anna aka Bell Bell 

2 comments:

Gil G said...

when you're back to KL and to your lovely house, can we meet and make ambuyat?! i'm literally dying to eat this shit!! i'll buy the sago,erm, wait, can i find it here? or you need to bring it from Labuan? pls pls pls?????

annalouis87 said...

Okay... I buy it from Labuan. I packet enough? but you will made the sauce for it....deal?